I realize that most people likely use SAS for SMF reporting. We did this in
the past. Management has declared that SAS on the z is simply too expensive.
They also declared that installing the Windows version on our main user's PC
is also too expensive. End of discussion on that point.

So, what else could be used? It must either be something that we already
have, such as COBOL, EasyTrieve Plus (without the SMF add on), REXX, HLASM,
... . We cannot spend any "hard money" on this. Oh, it would be nice if if
were very CPU efficient because we just downgraded our z9BC from a V02 to a
T02 in order to save on software costs. And it must be such that doing "ad
hoc" requests can be responded to quickly. Yes, I know, "give me the world,
but don't spend any money".

I am actually looking at downloading the raw SMF data to a Linux box (my
desktop) using BINary and SITE RDW. I did this for last week's SMF and had
about 14Gib of data. I know how to read this with Java. This may actually be
what I end up looking at doing. But I am the only person in my group who is
even mildly Java literate. The main performance person is not. And he
doesn't have access to my PC anyway. Of course, that is one reason that I'm
looking at Java. I have written Java in the past (minor application) which
truly was "run anywhere". At least it ran, as compiled on the Linux box, on
32 bit Linux/Intel, 64 bit Linux/Intel, Mac OS/X, 32 bit Windows, and on the
z. I just transferred the jar file and ran it.

Any thoughts or commiserations appreciated.

--
John