Cancelling HSM is really a bad thing.  There are some things you can do
to minimize the need for doing this.

1) Use automation to hold audit and recycle prior to the start of
automatic backup.
2) Make sure you schedule primary and secondary migration to end prior
to automatic backup.
3) Schedule automatic backup to start about a half an hour earlier on
only one HSM task in the sysplex to give CDS backup a chance to finish
before the HSM on the other LPARs kick in with automatic backup.
Starting before midnight, say 11:30 would be better.
4) Make sure CDS backup and VTS reclaim do not run at the same time or
backup the CDSs to DASD instead.
5) Implement record level sharing and convert the CDSs to using it.  You
can shrink your windows with concurrent processing at the same time you
can spread the workload across the LPARs in the sysplex.

Terry Traylor
charlesSCHWAB
TIS Mainframe Storage Management
Remedy Queue: tis-hs-mstg