On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 08:48:18 -0600, Hal Merritt <hmerr...@jackhenry.com> wrote:

>IMHO: exits as a subspecies are evil critters. They become an ongoing
maintenance challenge and tend to attract unwelcome attention from auditors.
Exits are hard to write, hard to stress test, and introduce a level of risk.
You need extraordinary measures in place to protect the code.

>On the well proven fact that there is no software that is completely bug
free, why would you want to introduce -more- bugs into your most sacred of
processes: authentication?

>There is another pretty interesting argument that as the complexity of your
solution package increases, so do the opportunities for holes. Perhaps put
there intentionally (the largest risk is internal) or intentionally (bugs).

>I once worked in an exit happy shop. Getting the exits updated and tested
tended to be the single biggest bottleneck in rolling out new operating
system levels.

>Of course, if you have a compelling business/technical need, then lock and
load.

Those are some of the reasons that we provided the REXX part of the exit,
too, with code that implements some commonly requested functions.  Ideally
all you have to do is set some switches to enable the functions we've
already written.

--
  Walt Farrell, CISSP
  IBM STSM, z/OS Security Design