>>What metrics/reports/support documents can you cite?
> well- let's just say that offloading 80% of 2% on a GP may not get you much.

Who said anything about 2%?
We're talking numbers big enough to save you money.

>>Remember there is also overhead just for having more than on CP?
>>How much more overhead is there to choose a zIIP (or a zAAp, for that matter)?

>depending on your hardware (number of books), there can be a 2-11% performance
>hit     >because you memory and/or your caches are in another core or book
>(both zIIP and zAAP).

And, how much different is that from GP to GP processing switches?

>>And, what is that compared ti software cost savings?
>>Enquiring minds want to know!

>Offloading 10% will pay for the hardware in some number of months (8-10)

And, doing more?

>My recommendation is 20-30% white space on the GPs to get your monies worth on
>the exercise

Where did you get this metric?

>and getting your software costs reduced (or rather, not go up).

That sounds pessimistic.

I'm still waiting for you to cite something concrete.
I've been involved in IFL/zIIP/zAAP evaluations.
Remember that these specialty engines run at full-speed, rather than the
knee-capped speeds of the GP's.

So, while overhead exists, is it a a problem?
And, is the performance hit an issue?
-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!