On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 14:38:35 -0500, Brian Peterson
<brian.peterson.ibm.m...@comcast.net> wrote:

>For example, what if your automation package is issuing a command like D
>GRS,C at hourly intervals?
>
>What if that automation was written to issue the command at exactly the same
>time on every LPAR in the sysplex?
>
>Just a thought....

I really hate automation like that.  But I have seen it in most shops I've
been at - including here.  I don't mind it while trying to diagnose a problem
but over the years this sort of thing grows and gets out of control.  Especially
when you have all the "situation managment" and postmortems that dictate
an action must be taken to prevent a problem from re-occurring.  Everybody
needs their own display command at some nn interval.

I've often wondered just how many meaningless indication of processor speed
thingies are wasted by this sort of thing contributing to the (perceived?)
expense of our platform and are written of to the cost of doing business.

Of course staggering these commands helps, but most of the ones I have
seen aren't needed at all.  Some ... like JES2 purge commands are needed
and we have at least staggered those across the different JESplexes.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
mailto:mark.zel...@zurichna.com