----------------------------------<snip>----------------------------------
Good evening IBM-MAIN,

Is anybody using Batch Pipes in production? Does the product really expedite execution of multi-step jobs? Is this a robust product for processing millions of records per day? Any gotchas with recovery? How is the overall CPU consumption?

Thanks in advance for anything you can share,
We played with it for a while at Clearing, long ago. It seemed pretty robust and could have been used to great advantage, but "The Powers That Be" decided that getting our production streams adjusted to use it was too much of a PITA. Everything else in Development had "Higher Priority", so the human resources weren't going to be available in the predictable future.

In our experiments, if we shut down the first stage of the process that was feeding the pipes, the succeeding stages shut down fairly quickly, so we paid very little attention to recovery.

Processing of each transaction from end to end took about 31 seconds, as opposed to 15-18 minutes in the non-pipe environment. (In the non-pipe environment, we accumulated transactions while the processing was going on, then restarted the process to do the next batch, etc.)

HTH

--
Rick