On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 14:26:53 -0500, Patrick O'Keefe wrote:

>>The description in the manual is correct; describing it with
>>the less specific term "default" might lead the programmer to
>>expect the program to say "something" rather than "X.7", or
>>at least to be uncertain.
>
>I agree, but I think the astonishment is aimed at the drop rather
>than the stem assignment.  (At least MY astonishment is.)   That
>behavior implies that the interpreter has to maintain both a list
>of specifically assigned variables and a list of specifically dropped
>variables (at least for stems that have been assigned).  I have no
>idea how the interpreters actually support the behavior of stem
>initialization, but I'm quite sure they don't predefine and assign
>every possible variable for the given stem.   They must, in fact,
>treat the assigned value as a default to be used for each
>unassigned and undropped variable associated with the stem.
>
>Including dropped variables in that behavior just adds work for the
>interpreter.
>
>Collishaw books include a sample of this behavior so there is no
>doubt he intended the language to work this way, but I am still
>astonished.

You have a pretty good description of how the misunderstanding
arises: journeyperson programmers attempt to infer an mechanism
of implementation, then erroneously assume the developers take
shortcuts because it's too complicated to do it right.

I confess I often do the same.  But then I test.  Sometimes
I'm plesantly surprised to find the implementation meets
the specification.  Other times, I find that the implementor
took the shortcut, and I submit a PMR.  This thoroughly
annoys the support people who argue that I should expect
that it would be implemented in the simple and obvious way,
not as specified.

I may not be able to do that much longer.

-- gil