On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 01:34:47 +0000, Ted MacNEIL <eamacn...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>>You can't use VTAM messages as a model.  NetView and VTAM have a very
special relationship.

>The suppression was more than VTAM messages.
>The only reason I mentioned VTAM was because our VTAM/SNA team was
responsible for NetView, as well.

Let me put it another way, then.  Prior to the recent implementation of
NetView's Message Revision Table (for SSI-based message suppression
among other things) NetView had absolutely no control over messages
WTOed from other address spaces.  None.

It could suppress its own messages and VTAM messages .   That's it.

NetView could control what it did with a copy of the message:
log/nolog to NetView's log, display/nodisplay on a NetView user's
terminal, log/nolog a copy to SYSLOG (which would result in 2 SYSLOG
copies of the message if MPF had SUP(N).

NetView had no control over the original WTOed message because it
operated on a copy of the message sent to it by the NetView SSI.
It could write to SYSLOG a message that MPF had given SUP(Y) but
had no way to suppress an external message with SUP(N).

Pat O'Keefe