On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 14:49:07 +0900, Timothy Sipples
<e99...@jp.ibm.com> wrote:

>z/OS 1.10 has some functionality that you may find highly relevant to your
>zFS (or HFS) root directory question. I'll just quote from the z/OS 1.10
>announcement letter since it's a pretty good summary:
>
>Hope that helps.

Yes, for the next time we perform this exercise.  I've opened and closed an
ETR with IBM in the meantime and completed some independent testing.

With our current software level (z/OS 1.8), we have no option but to sysplex-
wide IPL in an alternate sysplex root.  I'm glad IBM recognized the requirement
and addressed it, just too late for us in this case.  We should be 1.10 across
our "bronzeplex" systems when next we have to switch sites in this direction.

We tried to pick the non-volatile building to house the sysplex root, but this
switch is a result of our facilities teams discovering we're not quite there
yet.

Also, a reader pointed me to the z/OS 1.11 announcement for ALTROOT
support in BPXPRM, which is the next step - mitigating unplanned outages.

Thanks for those that took the time to read and respond to my query.

Regards,
Art Gutowski
Ford Motor Company