Hi Larry,

In respect of you query "I always thought when you gave a secondary
space allocation that it went to 16 extents(if needed), but I am reading
that it now goes to 123. Is this true?? We are a non sms shop.
One more question, does the system check for all secondary allocations or
will it work 1 by 1 as needed?"

The answer is that it depends.

The JCL Reference states "The system can allocate up to 123 extents for a
data set on a volume if it is a PDSE, an HFS data set, an extended format
data set, or a VSAM data set in an ICF catalog."

However traditional sequential and partitioned data sets are still limited
to 16 extents per volume.

Note that there is a significant difference between secondary request and an
extent. If I code SPACE=(CYL,(10,5)) I may get my secondary request in one 5
cylinder extent if it is available. However I could just as easily get my 5
cylinders as five 1 cylinder extents on a fragmented pack. Without
additional volumes indicated this could lead to an unexpected B37.

Kind regards - Terry

Terry Sambrooks
Director
KMS-IT Limited
228 Abbeydale Road South
Dore, Sheffield, S17 3LA, UK

Tel: +44 (0)114 262 0933
WEB: www.legac-e.co.uk

Company Reg: 3767263 at the above address

All outgoing E-mail is scanned, but it remains the recipient's
responsibility to ensure their system is protected from spy-ware, trojans,
viruses, and worms.