<informative stuff nipped>

> It is also worth noting that that, while Julian or Gregorian day
numbers
> preserve enough detail for most applications, they do not always do
so,
> even for business applications.  SWIFT-transaction processing,
real-time
> demand/current deposit accounting (DDA/CDA), real-time medical-record
> maintenance and the like all make use of and require the use of full
date-
> and-time values; and for them ETOD values are convenient where they ar
not
> too municipal.

This thread (or my question at least) started by my questioning the
statement that since we are coming up on 30 years before the TOD
rollover, IBM is already late in solving the specific TOD problem. I
maintained that it is unlikely that any current processing uses (E)TOD
formats with values > "whenever" 2042. Your examples, while real, still
involve values that are today, not to long ago (relatively) and surely
not much past tomorrow in actual calculations and/or stored data.

You are also correct that any effective use of date/time calculations is
facilitated by the epoch approach. Storing date/time in any format where
the beginning and ending of the available range are not known,
explicitly (your examples, or (E)TOD for that matter, or by convention
yymmdd (windowed) yyyymmdd is faulty data processing.

Y2K was an issue. We knew it was coming and for the most part handled
it. 2100 as a non-leap year and (E)TOD are both known. And with 100 year
leases, presumably, handled where needed or if not, are in error needing
repair. Contrawise, anyone who actually spent money on disk or memory or
space on the cards back when the constraints were real may well not have
remained cost effective. I can remember when making a commonly used
field one byte longer translated into at least 5 or 6 figures in DASD
cost. And we've always been a small shop.

Expensively solving a problem before it's time is a questionable use of
limited resources.