IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu> wrote on 04/15/2009
01:05:34 PM:

> >> We did that and found *one* instruction that was so slow, and
> executed so often, it brought our product to its "knees".
> >>

> > Please name and shame the instruction
> >

> LMD. We used it in an unstack routine, that had been updated to support
> AMODE(64) execution, without understanding just how slow it was (and how

> often we executed it). Code got into the field for early testing and
> customers complained. A product called STROBE pointed to the 64-byte
> block containing this instruction. We replaced it with other
> instructions and the problem was resolved.

  That's why LMD has the following Programming Note:

3. The combination of a LOAD MULTIPLE instruction
and a LOAD MULTIPLE HIGH instruction
provides equal or better performance than a
LOAD MULTIPLE DISJOINT instruction for the
same register range. LOAD MULTIPLE DIS-
JOINT is for use when the second or fourth operand
must be addressed by means of one of the
registers loaded.

Jim Mulder   z/OS System Test   IBM Corp.  Poughkeepsie,  NY