I don't believe there is a VVDS on a volume if there is no VSAM, and if
the volume is non-SMS.  So a sysres volume probably might not have a
VVDS on it, and most non-SMS volumes would not as well, unless there is
VSAM.

You could probably check for a VTOCIX if you make all of your volumes
have an index?

I do these checks in the following REXX code using the console command:

     "CONSOLE DEACTIVATE"
"CONSPROF SOLDISPLAY(NO) UNSOLNUM("NM") SOLNUM("NM") UNSOLDISPLAY(NO)"
     "CONSOLE ACTIVATE CART("TOKEN") NAME("NAME")"
     VOLA=GDGX
     ADDRESS CONSOLE 'D U,VOL='VOLA''
     ER = GETMSG(DMSG.,"SOL",TOKEN,MASK,5)
     MSGCHECK=SUBSTR(DMSG.1,2,7)
     IF MSGCHECK='IEE455I' THEN
       DO
        LINE.J= 'THE VOLSER FOR GDG: 'GDGX' DOES NOT EXIST'
        J=J+1
       END

If you look into the CONSOLE command you can do the D U,VOL=xxxxxx
command and interogate the output.  This works for a weekly job where I
check for the existence of all of our dump datasets for actual online
volumes.

Hope this helps.

C. Todd Burrell, PMP, MCP
Lead z/OS Systems Programmer