On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 09:40:50 +0200, Vernooy, C.P. - SPLXM
<kees.vern...@klm.com> wrote:

>"Victor Zhang" <victor_wor...@yahoo.com.cn> wrote in message
>> Hi experts,
>> One of software will use a dataset to store locking information. The
>> software uses SYSTEMS enq to get exclusive use of the dataset.
>> The software is storagetek's library station, and the manual said:
>> To prevent the corruption of the PDF, LibraryStation issues a SYSTEMS
>ENQ. The
>> ENQ QNAME is the HSC ENQ QNAME specified by the MAJNAME parameter of
>> the HSC LIBGEN. The ENQ RNAME is LS:ACTIVE.
>> If you make LibraryStation software available to more than one host,
>you are
>> responsible for propagating the SYSTEMS ENQ to each host. This can be
>done via
>> Global Resource Serialization (GRS) or a functionally equivalent
>product.
>>
>> My question is:
>> If more than one software instance started up on other lpars which are
>not
>> in same sysplex,  how can systems enq be properly propagating?
>>
>> Regards
>> Victor
>>

>The product that can do that is CA-MIM. A MIM-plex can span sysplexes.
>Doesn't is also issue a Reserve? That's how you normally protect your
>datasets over systems.

And even if the sharing can be done with MIM, at least for the CDS it
is recommended to use RESERVE (unless you want your tape processing
to slow down and cause a problem).   IOW, don't convert the RESERVE
to an ENQ unless you are in a single sysplex and using GRS STAR or
MIM control file in a CF.

Since the RNAME is different, you can just propagate that qname/rname,
but it still requires MIM (MII) to do it across sysplex boundaries.

So I would check the doc again or ask Oracle/Sun/STK . :-)

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
mailto:mark.zel...@zurichna.com