I would not point directly to the device the file is on.  I don't do that
unless I want to place files on a particular device.

In this case a logical dump will work best.  This way all the parts can be
found even if they are on different devices.

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 09:50:44 -0400, O'Brien, David W. (NIH/CIT) [C]
<obrie...@mail.nih.gov> wrote:

>PHYSINDYNAM specifies the input volume that is to be dynamically allocated
>          to a physical copy or dump operation. A nonspecific volume
>          serial number cannot be specified by using an asterisk (*). Only
>          one volume may be specified for a FULL, TRACKS, or DATASET COPY.
>          The device described by the volser must be the same type as the
>          output device specified on the OUTDD or OUTDYNAM keyword.
>
>Suggest you look at the example in the manual.
>
>Dave O'Brien
>NIH Contractor

For some reason when I use the SPHERE parm it does not work.  Can the SPHERE
parm be used for a physical dataset backup?  Below are my control cards and
error messages:

>- DUMP PHYSINDDNAME(DASD1) OUTDDNAME(TAPE1)        -
>       DATASET(INCLUDE(DEOP64.AM2.PAYROLL)) -
>                OPT(4) ALLX ALLD(*) SPHERE
> ADR101I (R/I)-RI01 (01), TASKID 001 HAS BEEN ASSIGNED TO COMMAND 'DUMP '
> ADR109I (R/I)-RI01 (01), 2009.112 09:12:25 INITIAL SCAN OF USER CONTROL
STATEME
> ADR139E (001)-RI01 (01), INCONSISTENT PARAMETERS INVOLVING 'PHYSINDDNAME '
> ADR131E (001)-RI03 (01), ABOVE TEXT BYPASSED UNTIL NEXT COMMAND
> ADR017E (001)-CLTSK(01), 2009.112 09:12:25 TASK NOT SCHEDULED DUE TO
ERROR. TASK

>Thanks to all

>Make your browsing faster, safer, and easier with the new Internet
Explorer® 8. Optimized for Yahoo! Get it Now for Free! at
http://downloads.yahoo.com/ca/internetexplorer/