<Snipped>
> >Neither the customer nor the USPS appreciate or long tolerate
> >incorrect zip codes.
>
> Huh?  Neither the customer not the USPS would see output based
> test data.   If you mean that the application would produce incorrect
> zip codes based because it wasn't test enogh using the  test data,
> then that points to a problem with the code or the test data.

I didn't think at that point that I was talking about test data, which
is usually only needed before an application goes live.
Post-implementation production problems are the ones that require
production data to resolve.  You can't fix a problem unless you can
reproduce the problem, and that, of necessity, requires the data that
caused the problem in the first place -- which usually means real
production data.

The idea I was trying to get across there is the case where a glitch has
turned up in the production stream and the programmer is charged with
fixing that glitch.  In my hypothetical zip-code scenario, I presumed
that the problem could be wrong real zip-codes being generated for real
customer addresses, leading to undeliverable mail or complaints from
USPS that mail is being returned as "no such person this address".  My
thesis is that the programmer cannot debug such a glitch without using
the real production data that originally caused the problem.

Zip-code may not be as good an example as I hoped it would be.  You are
right, of course, that in designing how to mask private information in
such an application the keys to the zip-code database would be masked in
the same way as the production data, so that the zip-code could be
looked up without actually knowing or seeing the "real" address
information.  Only the final printing application would unmask the
address to print it for mailing.

I still firmly believe that there are many other examples where "the
real data" needs to be used to successfully debug an application
problem, and therefore "masked" data will of necessity be seen
"unmasked" by the debugging application programmer.  When PII data is
central to the business process at hand, it will be unavoidable for
programmers to be able to see and manipulate such data in order to do
their jobs successfully.

Peter

and
may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of
the
attachments from your system.