Lizette Koehler wrote:
That will depend on a couple of things.

A rule of thumb I have used is
Loadlib 4 members per DIR Blk
Source 7 member per Dir Blk if ISPF Statistics are OFF
Source 4 member per Dir Blk if ISPF Statistics are ON

I do not have numbers for PDS/E datasets and Directory Blocks.

I have not looked at this in a while.  But this usually works for me.

Lizette

Hi all,
            Can somebody tell me what is the relationship between
directory blocks and the number of members in a PDS ?

For loadlib's, "it depends"; we teach 4-7 member entries
per directory block (the source for that information is
lost in the past somewhere), so using 4 is safe

For non-loadlibs, you have room for 6 member entries per
directory block w/ stats on, or 21 if stats are off.

From experience, it always helps to over-allocate number
of directory blocks, unless you have a library that will
never have new members added (a software product delivered
in unloaded PDS format might be like that, for example).

For PDSEs, it doesn't matter, since the directory can
dynamically grow as needed. Specify 1 at create time and
let the system take care of it.

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

  z/OS Application development made easier
    * Our classes include
       + How things work
       + Programming examples with realistic applications
       + Starter / skeleton code
       + Complete working programs
       + Useful utilities and subroutines
       + Tips and techniques

==> Check out the Trainer's Friend Store to purchase z/OS  <==
==> application developer toolkits. Sample code in four    <==
==> programming languages, JCL to Assemble or compile,     <==
==> bind and test.                                         <==
==>   http://www.trainersfriend.com/TTFStore/index.html    <==