From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu]on Behalf
Of Hal Merritt
Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 6:41 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Pricing of Software Licenses

The applicability of sub capacity pricing is a pretty complex issue. Usually
software is priced in MIP or MSU ranges so you'd have to figure out what
your break points are. For example, we have a license for a product that
goes up to 110 MSU. If we use more than that, then we move to the next tier.

The larger strategy is to buy a much bigger box than you need and then grow
into it. Meanwhile your software costs grow along with your workload not
with a big bang for the new box.

Conversely, if your shop is shrinking, your software costs also shrink.

All assuming, of course, that your OEM software venders will agree to the
reduced prices.