>But when I compile, the C compiler is looking for the OBTAIN symbol.
>Where do I need to put the asm routine to be found by the compiler?

Assuming the assembler code is in file obtain.s and your
C++ code is in file mainprog.c then

   c++ -o mainprog mainprog.C obtain.s

will invoke the C/C++ compiler to compile mainprog.C into
mainprog.o, will then invoke the assembler to assemble obtain.s
into obtain.o and will finally link mainprog.o and obtain.o into
load module mainprog.

Out of curiosity: What do you want to accomplish reading DSCBs?

--
Peter Hunkeler
CREDIT SUISSE