On Thu, 14 May 2009 07:20:07 -0400, Peter Relson <rel...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

>>My IPLINFO REXX program had been using
>>SCCBNCPS to determine that number.  And while IHASCCB was updated
>>for DYNCP (to add SCCBHCPA - Highest possible CPU address), SCCBNCPS
>>does not get updated after IPL.
>
>If you're interested in the highest CPU number, SCCBNCPS has never been a
>valid indication..  As its comment says, it is an indication of how many
>CPUs are installed. There is no architected guarantee that CPU numbers are
>defined without "gaps". SCCPNCPS is just the number of CPU entries present
>in the SCPINFO. The entries themselves have to be examined to see the CPU
>number and then you would take the highest one that is found..

I was just interested in what was documented.  The number, not the
highest number.   I often saw gaps in the past.   Here is a sample of
what my program displays:

The CPU model number is 2094.
The number of online CPUs is 9. The maximum number of CPUs is 12.
  The number of GPs online at IPL time was 5.
  The number of zAAPs online at IPL time was 3.
  The number of zIIPs online at IPL time was 1.
The CPU serial number for CPU 00 is 0328AA2094 (328AA), version code 00.
The CPU serial number for CPU 01 is 0328AA2094 (328AA), version code 00.
The CPU serial number for CPU 02 is 0328AA2094 (328AA), version code 00.
The CPU serial number for CPU 03 is 0328AA2094 (328AA), version code 00. (WLM)
The CPU serial number for CPU 04 is 0328AA2094 (328AA), version code 00. (WLM)
The CPU serial number for CPU 05 is 0328AA2094 (328AA), version code 00. (zAAP)
The CPU serial number for CPU 06 is 0328AA2094 (328AA), version code 00. (zAAP)
The CPU serial number for CPU 07 is 0328AA2094 (328AA), version code 00. (zAAP)
The CPU serial number for CPU 0D is 0328AA2094 (328AA), version code 00. (zIIP)

>Regarding "does not get updated after IPL" you are presumably looking at
>the area mapped by CVTSCPIN. This area intentionally is not updated after
>IPL for compatibility reasons.  Try the area pointed to by ECVTSCPIN.
>
>For what it's worth, SCCBHCPA is the highest CPU number that the machine
>thinks it can support.
>
>Peter Relson
>z/OS Core Technology Design

Thanks for the additional information.