Quoting:

>But before everyone gets carried away with the idea that that's the "one,
>best" option... I'm not so sure. Consider that Web Services are a
>reasonably fast moving target and a family of specifications, and it's
>probably not a good idea to go into the private business of having to
>maintain your own Web Services implementation, especially as a one-off. (Is
>this requirement likely to come up again? And again?) If you can omit
>needless coding, you can avoid committing to burdensome maintenance.

 I am not talking about coding a Web Service Client in Java by hand or using a
self written implementation. There is a reasonable amount of tooling available
that generates a Java Client for a given WSDL (e.g. Rational Application
Developer).
Thats it. This generated Java Client is then wrapped by COBOL and you can call
it. With mixed mode COBOL (it is not really an OO COBOL Class, its just a
procedural COBOL program with a Repository) you can instanciate the Java class
and run the methods of that class. This limits the interaction between the
COBOL and Java people to providing the Java class.
And the COBOL programmer who is aware of the mainframe interfaces can do the
mapping from COBOL to Java.

Denis.

Yes, you could use Java and invoke Java from COBOL.

But before everyone gets carried away with the idea that that's the "one,
best" option... I'm not so sure. Consider that Web Services are a
reasonably fast moving target and a family of specifications, and it's
probably not a good idea to go into the private business of having to
maintain your own Web Services implementation, especially as a one-off. (Is
this requirement likely to come up again? And again?) If you can omit
needless coding, you can avoid committing to burdensome maintenance.

Hence my opening question about what middleware the original poster has
already. The answer very well might be, "Use that."

Now, there is JAX-WS support in Java 6, and presumably it'll be maintained
and enhanced in reasonably timely fashion as Java evolves. That's good --
great, even. Is JAX-WS enough? "It depends." There are a lot of WS-*
standards that aren't in Java Standard Edition (JSE).

There are also security and performance considerations to think about (at
least). "It depends" again.

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan / Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: timothy.sipp...@us.ibm.com