On Thu, 14 May 2009 23:45:14 -0300, Clark Morris
<cfmpub...@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On 14 May 2009 17:05:53 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:
>
>>I have been a bit of experimenting with z/OS QSAM files from a Cobol
program
>>and I find that the manuals don't exactly agree with my results.  The
manuals
>>seem to imply that if you use the BLOCK CONTAINS clause (whether 0 or
>>something else) then the file has a RECFM of either VB or FB.  And if you
don't
>>include it then it's either V or B.
>
>While blocked input files may be read successfully if neither the
>block size nor BLOCK 0 is specified provided record descriptions
>match, lack of BLOCK CONTAINS causes the default blocksize on output
>to be ONE record.  I believe I submitted a SHARE requirement back in
>the 1990's to have a compile option that the default be BLOCK 0.
>Either is a perfectly valid default according to the COBOL standard.
>BLOCK would be the default consistent with VSAM handling.  The whole
>issue is a sore point with me and possibly others.

So are you saying that if I create a file (using, say, ISPF 3.2) and specify VB
with a particular block size, if my Cobol program that writes data to this
(empty) file does *not* have BLOCK CONTAINS 0 (or BLOCK CONTAINS
whatever the actual block size is) the actual I/O will *not* be blocked?  It
definitely works, but I don't know how to tell what the actual blocking factor
is.

Frank