>It is a lie to say BLOCK CONTAINS 0 RECORDS, it would have been better to have
>done that by leaving out the line altogether.

I don't think it's a lie.
Historically, ZERO has always had a special meaning.
In COBOL's case, it just means that the programme is not going to determine the
blocksize, but leaves a place-holder for it when it's decided elsewhere.

I honestly don't think that it's so onerous to have to worry about coding it
(it's a nit).
Most shops have standard templates (or programmers copy existing code) that are
modified to meet current needs.
Very little code is written from scratch.
(I know I rarely do it for any language).

-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!