----------------------------------------------<snip>----------------------------------------
I would respectfully disagree. I posed this question to the group a while back and the consensus was to let it crash. I believe the thought was that there was just not enough time or information to make an informed decision. Plus, anytime someone is frantically banging on a keyboard, screw ups are a sure bet.

I had to make this call a while back and followed the advice. All in all, things went very smoothly and we were back in full operation with very few issues. DB2 and JES knew what to do and did it. Batch jobs that were running were simply treated just like any other failure. Our most loved proprietary online hit the ground running.

I did drain initiators to prevent any new batch jobs kicking off.

I learned a few things, though. One, if you have an OS/2 HMC, shut it down ASAP. When power comes back, it does a check disk that takes forever. I had to IPL using the support elements.

The Shark has backup batteries so that it will come in for a graceful landing. That worked. But the unexpected twist was that the Shark would not go ready until the batteries were recharged. We now have a DS8100 but I would expect it would be no different.

So, my suggestion for a loss of power scenario is to immediately evacuate personnel to a safe place. Nothing is worth getting someone hurt. BTDT.
I tend to agree with your conclusions, expecially the last one. Consider using your automation to accomplish an orderly shutdown, or alternatively, use something like the COMMAND program from the CBTTAPE site for same. While it's not always perfect, it will help eliminate the "finger checks" that so often happen in times of great stress. Getting a clean termination of batch jobs will always be problematic but automation of some sort can be used to at least affect an orderly shutdown of online systems, DBMS's, etc. We use COMMAND and other than batch jobs, we are completely shut down and ready for power down, or IPL, in about 2 minutes. (3 CICS regions, 1 DBMS, plus TSO, VTAM and various monitoring tools.)

(We learned just how valuable this was during the Chicago Flood of 1992, when Edison have us 10 minutes warning before cutting our power.)

--
Rick