>As for sorting dropped cards: in the mid-80s, I worked at UofWaterloo.
>We had one full professor who refused to get off of cards.

I think I know who that was.

On a related note, at one Insurance Company I worked at, we had one of the most
prestigious pension plans in North America.
It was maintained by a file clerk, who would type updates on a keypunch, and
submit that and the master file as two card decks.
Every week, she (and it was a she in 1981) would bring these two decks to the
5th floor computer room where operations would set up a copy job to dump the
two files to disk, and then run the Production update stream.
The last job would punch out the new master file, we'd feed it through the
interpreter, and, on Monday, she'd show up, get the new cards and trundle back
up to her office.

We kept a reader/punch, a back up, a card interpreter, and 2 KP-29's around for
just this one file.

Finally, when the maintenance (and the reliability) got too hard to manage, we
convinced the pension department to work with disk files.
-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!