On Mon, 25 May 2009 19:13:43 -0700, Gibney, Dave wrote:

>OK, but how is this desire not satisfied via AVGREC allocations? Oh, it
>is and you'll claim your applications folks can't handle the concept.

AVGREC is:

o Woefully misleading; it seems to abbreviate AVeraGe RECord size,
  with which it appears to have nothing to do (or is there another
  etymology I'm missing totally?)

o A desperate measure to deal with an inadequate sized bit field
  in some control block; a bizarre base-1024 floating point.

  Why can't I code:

      SPACE=(133,20480000) and have the converter do the algebra

  rather than be forced to do the computation myself and code:

      SPACE=(133,20000),AVGREC=K

Isn't that what computers are supposed to be for?

>> And I could have my "beloved" FBA architecture mapped onto standard SAN
>> resident storage. Oh, except for some things like PDSes. PDSes are the
>> legacy of the devil, IMO. But the cost to eliminate them would likely be
>> horrendous for things like IPL and NIP.

Nowadays, many of the despised "squatty boxes" can boot from
the network.  Why should our beloved z/OS be so far behind?
Yah, it _is_ rocket science, but this _is_ the 21st century.

-- gil