From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Staller, Allan [allan.stal...@kbm1.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:38 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: DFHSM question concerning Duplex copies

I have not been actively duplexing in a while, but in my past life,
assuming no other problems with the tape, if one or the other tapes of
the primary/duplex pair hit end-of-volume, this would cause a new pair
to start.

>From the z/OS 1.9 DFSMShsm Users Guide SC35-0421-07 Topic 3.4.2.1.1

When the original tape reaches its percent-full capacity, DFSMShsm must
flush all the data to both tapes before performing a FEOV.

If natural EOV is reached on either tape, DFSMShsm marks the tapes as
FULL and restarts processing of the current data set from its beginning
on two new tapes.

IOW, the shorter tape wins.

HTH,