2009/6/8 shai hess <shai.h...@gmail.com>:
> Any products to protect MVS software from cracking and reverse engineering?
[...]
>  In PC the software companies try to make the life of hackers hard by using
> anti debugger tools to make the hackers confuse but eventually these action
> make the debugging in PC harder for more minutes or hours but nobody can
> protect the PC software from being cracked.

Many years ago (1980s) I did encounter a VM product that tested for
several forms of tracing (PER, VM TRACE command) being on, and took
different code paths and even disabled PER at times. But it was (and
is) very rare.

What would be the point of cracking or reverse engineering mainframe
software? It is a rare piece of software that has a lot of value
locked up in a secret-sauce algorithm. Most software, imho, has its
value in the support services rather than magic code.

To be sure, someone could license a mainframe software product, and
then defeat the licensing scheme. But to what end? I have worked for
several ISVs over the years, and I have yet to see any serious
evidence of any of our products being stolen by either a customer or a
distributor. (Yeah, yeah - I know; if they were successful we wouldn't
know about it.) I'm not saying it never happens, but realistically,
what kind of customer would run such software? Or to put it another
way, what would be your sales pitch for PC-like tools to protect
mainframe software?

Tony H.