On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 13:26:44 -0500, Mark Zelden <mark.zel...@zurichna.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:25:22 -0400, O'Brien, David W. (NIH/CIT) [C]
><obrie...@mail.nih.gov> wrote:
>
>>We are looking to copy data off of 9840A tapes to 9840D tapes. There are a
>limited number of free slots in our SL8500, so just letting them wither and
>die is not an option. Neither is boxing them and mounting on demand. Since
>there are a limited number of datasets to be stacked we need a cost
>effective solution.
>>
>>Does anyone know of a cheap or better yet free stacking mechanism besides
>Iebgener?
>>

>I haven't used it in many years and I don't know anyone else who has either,
>but if you are running CA-1, I still have TAPESTAK on my web site / CBT
>file 434.
>
>It can utilize COPYCAT or IEBGENER.  If you use the IEBGENER option, it
>creates TMSUPDTE cards for you in order to preserve some of the original
>information on the new tape (creation job name, date, etc.).
>
>Since you say there are a limited number of data sets to be stacked, this
>could work well for you.   It has a "test" mode, so you can run it and see
>what will happen without actually destroying any of the original tapes /
>information.
>
>If you decide to try it, I'd be interested in hearing your results.
>
>Even if you don't have CA-1, you may be able to modify it for other
>software packages.  Even if it takes reading some sort of report output
>instead of the TMC directly.

I just ran a test and it still looks like it works with CA-1 11.5.  However,
my first run didn't find any tapes to stack.   In looking at the section
of code (copied below) that excludes certain tapes from selection, I found
that the outcode (vault) appears to be blanks now and my code was
checking for hex zeros.  Not sure when that changed... like I said, I
haven't run this in years.   I changed the check and it works.

Perhaps Russell Witt can tell me when that changed or why I am
seeing something different now than in the past when I used this
program.

  /*  If any of the following conditions are true - get              */
  /*  another record.                                                */
  /*                                                                 */
  /*   1) The tape volser < STARTNUM or > ENDNUM                     */
  /*   2) The tape is a 9 track (3420) tape                          */
  /*   3) The tape is a FDRABR tape                                  */
  /*   4) The tape is a DFHSM  tape                                  */
  /*   5) The tape is vaulted                                        */
  /*   6) The tape is part of a multi-volume set                     */
  /*   7) The tape is a multi- file tape (tape has DSNBs)            */
  /*                                                                 */
  If VOLSER < STARTNUM | VOLSER > ENDNUM then iterate
  If Substr(INREC,89,1) = X2c('80') then iterate /* 9 track (3420)   */
  If Substr(INREC,7,6) = 'FDRABR' then iterate /* FDR/ABR tapes      */
  If Substr(INREC,7,5) = 'DFHSM'  then iterate /* DFHSM tapes        */
 /*If Substr(INREC,109,4) <> X2c('00000000') then iterate *//*vaulted*/
  If Substr(INREC,109,4) <> '    '          then iterate /* vaulted  */
  If Substr(INREC,57,6) <> X2c('000000000000') then iterate /*mlt-vol*/
  If Substr(INREC,75,2) <> X2c('0000') then iterate /* multi file    */

--
Mark Zelden
mailto:mark.zel...@zurichna.com