I've run into a problem where I have TN3270 sessions attached to a VTAM
session manager.

The problem is this: When the system, where the VTAM session manager is
running, is at 100% for extended periods (5 minutes or more), AND, you
have a TSO session on the system where the session manager is, AND that
TSO session attempts to run a "long running task" (Endevor update to
promote source is an example), the TSO session will continue to run, BUT
the TN3270 session will be timed-out and dropped.

In this case the TN3270 is QWS3270 Plus. In tracing this, we see that
QWS is "posted" with a lost connection. However, QWS is running the TCP
keep alive at about a 5 minute interval. And the last thing that QWS
shows is it sent a buffer to the host and is now waiting for a response
when it gets this lost connection posting.

I have been looking at the z/OS Comm Server manuals (even searching
them) and I don't see anything that needs to be changed in the
configuration. I have looked at various APARs (particularly the ones
about IMS and additional keepalive support from 1.7 and later). But I
don't see anything that seems to apply.

The other thing about this that is interesting, those running
Hummingbird don't seem to have this drop problem.

And this is something that I can recreate at will.

Note: TSO is not timing out. This is specifically a TCP connection
termination issue that is timing related. It takes the z/OS system (1.8)
going to 100% busy for 5 minutes or longer.

And, while this is happening, I can be directly connected to other MVS
or VM systems and they are not affected.

So anyone have any idea where I need to look in the config parms for TCP
(or VTAM?).

Regards,
Steve Thompson