On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 01:27:40 +0300, Binyamin Dissen wrote:

>:>I'm mystified: I had thought that when a member name is specified
>:>the file is sequential; that's what gets merged into the DCB by
>:>OPEN if not specified in the DCB macro, and the OP was at worst
>:>reasserting a default.
>
>Since when does DSORG get merged into the DCB? DSORG and MACRF must be
>specified in the DCB macro.

I'll stand corrected.  But I once went to PMR (which got rejected)
on an IBM utility which got a permission violation when I allocated
its output file write-only.  The explanation was that the utility
first opens the file for input in order to verify that DSORG is
not PO to avoid clobbering a PDS directory.  How, then, does the
utility determine DSORG by opening for input?

Thanks,
gil