From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
John Mitchelle
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 7:10 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: SMS Dataset Allocation Problem

We have IBMUSER.NDSP.** defined as SMS Managed datasets.

My DBA trying to allocate SMS Managed dataset with space as
//SYSREC01 DD DSN=IBMUSER.NDSP.DATA,
//      DISP=(NEW,CATLG,DELETE),
//      SPACE=(CYL,(2000,1800),RLSE)

The job is failing with error
IEC030I
B37-04,IFG0554A,IBMUSE1,S02,SYSREC01,9D96,ND0016,E6002130,IBMUSER.NDSP.DATA

But if DBA submit the same job with space parameters as

//SYSREC01 DD DSN=IBMUSER.NDSP.DATA,
//      DISP=(NEW,CATLG,DELETE),
//      SPACE=(CYL,(2000,1800),RLSE),
//      UNIT=(DISK,40)

Then the JOB completes with RC 00.

Please note that the only diff is of UNIT parameter. Can anyone explain me
why this happens ?

John