that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main as well.

Tom Longfellow <tlongfel...@verizon.net> writes:
> This sounds like an entirely different situation.  The thing being
> replaced in your picture is the communications, not the database access.
> The original post referred to JDBC for database access.
>
> By the way, if my bank was replacing ATM equipment and not buying a
> turnkey solution for the networking, I would be looking to move my money
> to a more conservative bank.

there have been recent mention about migration off of OS2-based ATM
machines (64% of ATMs were windows-based in 2008):

Older Operating System Lingers, Holds Back ATM Services, Study Says
http://www.digitaltransactions.net/newsstory.cfm?newsid=2226

but then there is these items ...

Windows-based cash machines 'easily hacked'
http://news.cnet.com/Windows-based-cash-machines-easily-hacked/2100-7349_3-6233030.html
ATM malware lets criminals steal data and cash
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10257277-83.html
Malware steals ATM accounts and PIN codes; Pwns ATMs under Windows XP
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1184568/malware-steals-atm-accounts-pin-codes

some recent ATM posts/discussions
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009i.html#34 Data-sniffing trojans burrow into
Eastern European ATMs
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009i.html#71 Barclays ATMs hit by computer fault

and
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009h.html#44 Book on Poughkeepsie

and recent post on addressing a "different" way of evesdropping/skimming
financial transaction vulnerabilities
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009j.html#13 PCI SSC Seeks Input on Security
Standards

--
40+yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970