Yes this is an issue- some operations teams have never seen a batch job
that could not use an initiator and use it NOW...  They do not understand
the concept that this actually does increase total batch thruput time.

Joe Winterton
Release Mgr - OMEGAMON - Development Team
919-224-1328 Cell -914-954-0483 - jose...@us.ibm.com

"McKown, John" <jmck...@healthmarkets.com>
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
07/01/2009 09:36 AM
Please respond to
IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>

IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
cc

Subject
How to convince not to over initiate?

We are constantly doing this. Especially during month end. Our Production
people simply fire up a large number of production initiators and dump a
large number of jobs into the system. Does anybody have any __HARD__
studies which show that running the machine a 100% with a lot of jobs
basically "swapped out" due to lack of CPU can actually cause a
__INCREASE__ in total MSUs used for those jobs versus running fewer at a
time? Management here is very much into "reduce MSUs to reduce cost". So,
if I can show that running fewer jobs concurrently would reduce cost, then
I might have a prayer of getting this changed. Or am I wrong and it
doesn't really matter?

John McKown
Systems Engineer IV
IT

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone * (817)-961-6183 cell

proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
message. HealthMarkets(r) is the brand name for products underwritten and
issued by the insurance subsidiaries of HealthMarkets, Inc. -The
Chesapeake Life Insurance Company(r), Mid-West National Life Insurance
Company of TennesseeSM and The MEGA Life and Health Insurance Company.SM