On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 16:49:24 -0500, Tom Harper wrote:
>Gerhard,
>
>According to this source, that theory [track edge residue]
>is in question:
>
>http://www.h-online.com/security/Secure-deletion-a-single-overwrite-will-do-it--/news/112432
>
>(watch the wrap).

Thanks.  I long wondered, given that disk technology is
pushing the physical limits, how one might expect to
do orders of magnitude better -- if one can recover the
original data, one must be able similarly to recover
the content of each intervening random overwrite pattern.

The cited article and its followups point out that it's
a greater concern to erase all temporary copies of the
file (how often do you S(ave) during an E(dit) session?)
And that this concern is magnified in RAID systems which
intrinsically keep redundant data.  I searched Google
for "ZFS SECURE DELETE", since Time Slider's ability
to recover deleted files exaggerates the hazard.  The
consensus is that ZFS has yet no secure delete facility;
an alternative is to keep the data encrypted and destroy
the key.  (How do you assure that all errant copies of
the key are destroyed?  Same way you assure that all
errant copies of the base data (on laptops, SD cards,
etc.) are destroyed.)

-- gil