All,

once upon the time, we had to write an application (in VS COBOL II) that
 uses subtasks.

Because this old COBOL release did not support subtasks, we did a trick:
We've attached from an ASM driver a little ASM stub that did just one
thing: call the wanted COBOL prog.

We had to link all COBOL-Modules statically to get all this stuff
working. The COBOL progs are also using some ASM Subs for some special
things (i. e. doing a GETMAIN, FREEMAIN, STIMERM and so on). They are
also statically linked. So the initial ATTACH attaches a really big thing...

Now we are just about 13 years later and I have to convert this
application. We want to use Enterprise COBOL and dynamic CALLs.

Now..... I guess all the COBOL-Stuff will work pretty well (I guess that
the WOKING-STORAGE gets getmained for every new copy of the COBOL-Prog
within each subtask).

But I wonder how to migrate the ASM-Subs nearly painless.... I could
rewrite all this ASM-Subs and use dynamic Saveareas but I wonder if just
using REUS=NONE would do the same job...

So bring it to a question: What is the "scope" of the REUS-Option?
(Sub)Task-Level? Then using "REUS=NONE" would bring up a new copy of the
ASM-Stubs for every Subtask - just what I need.... I don't care for the
"wasted" memory because the ASM-Subs are mostly rather small (and well,
today they are all statically linked together with some really big
COBOL-Subs)....

Thank you for hints....

Bye,
Michael

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Michael Knigge
Entwicklung

S.E.T. Software GmbH
Lister Straße 15
30163 Hannover

Tel.  +49 511/3 97 80-23
Fax   +49 511/3 97 80-65
michael.kni...@set-software.de

Handelsregister: HRB52778 Amtsgericht Hannover
Geschäftsführer: Till Dammermann, Klaus Stöhr