The problem with many simple delete-member processes for PDS--DSORG(PO)--
is that while the result is a PDS with no members, it may not be not truly
'empty'. That is, the data portion of the allocation is still occupied by
whatever content was there before member deletion. In order to finish the
process, you need to compress the memberless PDS to reclaim the space.

Programs like PDSCLEAR or StarTool FIX RESET render a PDS truly empty is a
single user operation.

PDSE behaves differently. Deleting a member makes previously occupied space
available for the next member to be added.

.
.
JO.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company
Electric Dragon Team Paddler
SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
626-302-7535 Office
323-715-0595 Mobile
jo.skip.robin...@sce.com

             carlos roberto
             visconde
             <cvisco...@ig.com                                          To
             .BR>                      IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
             Sent by: IBM                                               cc
             Mainframe
             Discussion List                                       Subject
             <ibm-m...@bama.ua         Re: Delete all members of a PDS
             .edu>                     with JCL

             07/07/2009 12:06
             PM