On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 13:52:24 -0700, Gibney, Dave wrote:

>IANAL, nor am I an engineer :) But, I doubt millicode is frozen in
>hardware. I've always thought it to be machine instructions in "ROM" or
>what they call "licensed internal code"

Machine instructions in memory.  IIRC it goes into HSA.  There is no
documented interface for you to alter millicode or to provide your own
millicode routines.  If you figured out a way, I'm sure IBM would find a way
to stop you because it could cause integrity problems.

In any case, if you wanted to write an x86 emulator, millicode would not be
necessary.  You could just as well write it in assembler to run as a
dedicated application.  After all, millicode uses (approximately) the same
instruction set.

--
Tom Marchant