One for the real old-timers here!

I'm restoring a DEC RP02 disk drive - re-badged Memorex 660, IBM 2314 clone.
On cleaning it up, I find that the 'basin' - the sheet metal which lines the
cavity in which the disk pack spins - is painted with a dark grey paint
which is positively sticky - tacky to the touch.

I've never encountered this on a disk drive before. Do people think this is
just old, deteriorated paint? Or is it possible that it's intended to be
sticky - to trap any particulates which elude the HEPA filter? If so, would
that have been factory applied, or a customer 'modification' done in the field?

Anyone ever found sticky paint on a removable-pack disk drive before?

And, while I'm on the subject, I desperately need disk packs for this thing
- IBM 2314-compartible, the disk pack was 2316 IIRC. Also badly needed, IBM
3330-1 disk packs for another drive I'm restoring.

And while I have your attention, I'll repeat my annual appeal for old IBM
hardware - I'm trying to track down S/360, S/370, and S/3 CPUs and
peripherals, card reader/punches, DASD (desperate to find 3340s!), Selectric
terminals, 3277 terminals, and similar vintage equipment!

(this is for my museum, and yes I do find it and get it working - see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBtXLZcY_bM )

Thanks!

Mike
http://www.corestore.org