What code page should we use?
(What a question!)

We use codepage 037.  I observe that OMVS apparently uses code page
1047.  I say this because if I use code page 037 and go in to OMVS and
type "java" I see on my screen:

Usage: java Ý-options¨ class Ýargs...¨

If I switch to code page 1047 I then see the expected:

Usage: java [-options] class [args...]

Is there any way to get OMVS to show the brackets correctly if I am
using code page 037?

And what about C source code?  (And Java for that matter.)  We are not
a C shop, but I can imagine that some day we might try a little Java.
How do I use ISPF to edit Java source code and have the brackets turn
out in a way that Java can recognise it?  And is there any way to
convert C source code examples to code page 037?  For example,
CEE.SCEESAMP(EDCCICS) has the following line:
 extern "COBOL" void CUCICS(unsigned short *len, char (*
running)[80]);

It looks fine if I have my terminal set to code page 1047, but not code
page 037.

Did we do something wrong when we installed z/OS?  What's up?

Thanks,
Frank

--

Frank Swarbrick
Applications Architect - Mainframe Applications Development

The information contained in this electronic communication and any
document attached hereto or transmitted herewith is confidential and
intended for the exclusive use of the individual or entity named above.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the
employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any examination, use,
dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication or any part
thereof is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication
destroy this communication.  Thank you.