Thanks in advance for all/any advice, direction, samples, expertise related to
my question.  I was approached by one of our distributed application folks with
a request that I believe should be very possible to accommodate based on my
experiences with zOS system sftwr/hdwr, WAS, etc.

The app is web-based running on non-zOS platform.  They would likebe able to
connect to the mainframe to authenticate a RACF ID/password; if the ID and
password are OK, continue with the app (possibly return a RC=0 or any
other "OK");  if ID unknown, pswd wrong, pswd revoked or expired, provide a
non-zero return code or "not OK" msg with explicit reason, even routing user
to a web page where they can update an expiring password, correct an invalid
password.  I'm hoping to find something that is *easy* and *cheap* to
implement ("free" being the key word), and generic enough to be used by any
subsequent apps.  I figure there has to be an easy way to do this but I don't
know what that way is, whether a direct call to RACF or USS, some kind of
non-html call to the IBM HTTP server, WebSphereAS, MQ ... something simple
and free.

Thank you,
Bob Bonhard/UPS I.S.