One thing we looked at was using CAS (from Yale University -- try
http://www.yale.edu/tp/auth/usingcasatyale.html). One of the things it
can use as an authentication back-end is an LDAP server so we were
thinking of trying it with the one that comes with z/OS.

We never got around to trying it (it is on our list of things to do when
we have time).

--Stephen