Steve,

My tongue was firmly in my cheek.

I would say that it's a good idea not to correct an Australian by telling
him what the UK does. I'll send Crocodile Dundee after ya...

As far as Australia goes the standard is 1,000,000,000,000 equals one
billion. From the discussion of the wiki article there is this gem:

" Australian Standards AS1000 (appendix AA) states that the Engineers are to
use long scale (Billion = Million Million) as outlined in "The 9th General
Conference of Weights and Measures (CGPM) in 1948". However, in 1982 they
realised it would be difficult to enforce this and have recommended "that
the scientific engineering use be avoided."

Now that's bloody confusing, but as of last year the Australian Macquarie
Dictionary, our equivalent of Oxford and Webster Dictionaries, defined one
billion as 10 to the power of 12. That's the standard, and it's citation
enough for me.

Ron

Behalf Of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_and_short_scales