On Friday 17 July 2009, Steve Comstock wrote:
> Eric Chevalier wrote:

> >>    This link appears borken.  :-(
>
>    borken?

    borken :  adj  :  Standard Internet slang for "broken"; formed as an
intentional tupo (or tyop).  cf. the following entries in the Jargon
File.:

    http://catb.org/jargon/html/B/borken.html
    http://catb.org/jargon/html/T/tyop.html

> If I click on the link in Thunderbird, it switches to my
> Firefox browser with this in the URI bar:
>
> http://dtsc.dfw.ibm.com/MVSDS/%20HTTPD2.PT217.HTML%20INDEX%20%20#7792
>310775959509782
>
> which results in 404 Page not found!!

    Yup, 404 is the result I got, only mine was just truncated exactly
like Eric's quoted below till I did the cut 'n paste thing. T-bird's
transmogrification is a bit creative! (The pair of "%27" characters are
apostrophes or single quotes, by the way.)

> > That may be an issue with your news reader or e-mail client. I
> > follow this mailing list via the newsgroup, using Forte Agent.
> > Agent considers the end of the link to be the text ".HTML".
> > However, in fact, the complete URL *includes* the trailing
> > characters "(INDEX)%27".
> >
> > You may need to copy the complete link from the message and paste
> > into your browser, rather than just trying to click on the link.

    I think that the number of different behaviors respondents have
reported among various mail clients/newsreaders reinforces my opinion
that this sort of url is truly lame. And it also strengthens my
long-standing suspicion that most web developers must not really be web
*users*.

Cheers,
Bob

--