While I finally bit the bullet and learned (somewhat) how to use vi, I
think using it as the command editor is overkill. The emacs keys for
recalling commands and moving forward and back on the line are much more
amenable to key bindings. I do:

set -o emacs

and set up arrow to CTRL-p, down arrow to CTRL-n, left arrow to CTRL-b,
right arrow to CTRL-f

If delete or backspace aren't working, CTRL-d will do delete.

Of course, just using the CTRL combinations works too and if you find
yourself at a prompt, it doesn't hurt to try them out. :)

--
Don Poitras - zSeries R & D  -  SAS Institute Inc. -  SAS Campus Drive
mailto:sas...@sas.com   (919)531-5637  Fax:677-4444     Cary, NC 27513