I doubt if the new channels will be significantly more expensive if you buy them with a new machine. If you just took delivery of your machine 2 months ago, and then realize these chanells could help because you have a huge DASD farm, you might be talking significant dollars, although if you have the processing for a significant DASD farm, the added cost might not seem so high. Since I'm not working now, I can't really ask IBM how much these channels cost, and I'm sure if someone else found out, they wouldn't be allowed to say how much they cost.

Radoslaw - I suspect your right about these new channels not helping the I/O load much for the average shop. I know when I worked at P&H Mining, the only time I ever saw channels above 50% where when backups were running, and all 16 of our 3490E tape drives were running. I believe that caused significant delays backing up through the 4 Escon channels attached to the 2 controllers, but then in the manufacturing environment they had, it wasn't that critical to get the batch done that fast. Actually, Australia and a few other parts of the world that used our mainframe did experience delays during their prime shifts, but I guess they learned to live with it.

I suspect the real benefit will come when all the devices made include support for the new channels, and that probably will be awhile.

Eric Bielefeld
Sr. Systems Programmer
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
414-475-7434

----- Original Message ----- From: "R.S." <r.skoru...@bremultibank.com.pl>
Eric,
I don't think the new channels will be significantly more expensive. Of course the change will be paid.

Last but not least:
- you don't need the channels if you don't have 8Gbps on the other end of cable. I mean CU or switch for shared channels (rather theoretical scenario - fully loade channel and multiple CUs connected). - you don't need the channels if your current utilization is reasonably low. From my limited experience - I have never observed >50% utilization on my FiconEx4 channels connected to 4Gbps capable DASD CU. I use 4 channels, more port are available at both ends.

So, in my case I don't expect Ficon Express8 channels before z11 arrives here. Good for current economy <g>
--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

--