Jack,

Shadowimage is a lot more than PPRC by another name. The best way to drive
Shadowimage is through the BCM (Business Continuity Manager) software which
provides the API for all the features of ShadowImage for MF applications.
BCM provides an ISPF or REXX interface to manage HDS In-System Replication
products.

When Shadowimage was first developed we provided support through PPRC
commands. The support for all the basic features of Shadowimage with PPRC
commands remains, but all new features, ATTIME Split for example, are
enabled through BCM. We do have customers that continue to use Shadowimage
with only the PPRC commands, but the features and functions are limited to
whatever can be enabled through that limited API.

I'm not in sales, so don't hang me if I'm wrong, but I believe FlashCopy is
a separately licensed feature on the USP-V and not an add-on feature to
Shadowimage. You can license Shadowimage, FlashCopy, or both. FlashCopy on
HDS provides all its capabilities through the same host API as IBM storage,
so it can be used interchangeably or together with IBM storage products. It
is designed as a compatible product to be supported through FC commands,
DFSMSdss, and ISV products from BMC, Innovation and suchlike.

I'm not sure why VION gave you such an unusual answer, as that doesn't
represent ShadowImage at any stage of its genesis. I'm happy to try and
answer any questions you have on or off the list.

Ron

Behalf Of