>This is a poke in the eye of dumb-ass management everywhere who believe they
>make things better by controlling that which should not be controlled.

I agree.
In a galaxy far far away, I once had an argument regarding the CPU governer
under DB2 -- similar issue.
Production apps, submitted under DDF from customers, were being cancelled after
'too much' CPU was being consumed.
The customer didn't understand and, continuously, re-submitted.
This was a management issue, and a waste of resources.
The solution was technical, and easy once the issue was finally understood.
We broke the query into two periods, under WLM (one based on CPU consumed, up
to the 90th percentile, and the second was a lower importance as an execution
velocity), and did away with the governor.

Resource consumption went down, the customer received the results of the query
(first time), and everybody was happier.
-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!