On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 13:38:36 -0400, O'Brien, David W. (NIH/CIT) [C] wrote:

>I noticed that some of my DB2 databases have not been accessed since the turn
>of the century. These are SMS managed and have a Management class which calls
>for migration to Level 1 after 365 days of non-use. After another year of
>non-use they are eligible for ML2. Naturally the Storage Group has auto
>migrate set to No.
>
>Hence my question(s) - If a DB2 table space is migrated, does the entire DB2
>environment wait for the recall or just the DB2 user/process which invoked the
>recall?
>

>From DB2 Admin Guide:

"DB2 can recall user page sets that have been migrated. Whether DFSMShsm recall
occurs automatically is determined by the values of the RECALL DATABASE and
RECALL DELAY fields of installation panel DSNTIPO. If the value of the RECALL
DATABASE field is NO, automatic recall is not performed and the page set is
considered an unavailable resource. It must be recalled explicitly before it
can be used by DB2. If the value of the RECALL DATABASE field is YES, DFSMShsm
is invoked to recall the page sets automatically. The program waits for the
recall for the amount of time that is specified by the RECALL DELAY parameter.
If the recall is not completed within that time, the program receives an error
message indicating that the page set is unavailable but that recall was
initiated."

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/dzichelp/v2r2/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.db2z9.doc.admin%2Fsrc%2Ftpc%2Fdb2z_dfsmshsmeffectonrecovery.htm
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/dzichelp/v2r2/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.db2z9.doc.inst%2Fsrc%2Ftpc%2Fdb2z_dsntipo.htm
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/dzichelp/v2r2/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.db2z9.doc.admin%2Fsrc%2Ftpc%2Fdb2z_migratetohsm.htm