I never was able to find in the doc. a definition of what a 308 is. I had a
feeling it was related to insufficient storage available. I continued to bump
up the -Xmx parameter on the java statement until I got it to run (-Xmx195M).
The first dev LPAR I tried this on was not setup to allow that much storage
(not sure all the settings that control this), I tried on another dev LPAR that
appears to be more generous and it ran.

Still feel that JVMSHRC336E Port layer error code = -308 must be documented
somewhere.